New year, same home
Make a resolution to declutter and reorganize these 5 rooms
Now that the new year is here, it’s time to get organized. After the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it is easy for things to be shuffled around or misplaced. Here are the five rooms or areas in your home that deserve immediate reorganization and attention:
- The kitchen. Typically the gathering place for holiday functions, it’s possible that many of your beloved plates, Tupperware and even coffee mugs were moved around by visiting friends and family members. To free up cupboard space, try hanging your pots and pans or decluttering with drawer organizers.
- The bathroom. The most used room in the house, you’re probably not looking forward to getting this space in order. But beyond a wave of the toilet wand, under-the-sink storage and behind-the-door hooks create more space and make getting ready in the morning a breeze!
- The closet. Your wardrobe could potentially be a mix of summer, fall and winter attire. Getting some under-the-bed storage will finally force you to put away the shorts and tank tops, and see-through shoe boxes will keep your favorite pairs crisp and clean.
- The laundry room. Overhead or hideaway storage options will work best for this room, creating more space for loads of dirty (or clean) laundry. Try a drying rack that you can hang from the ceiling, or a storage tower on wheels for all of your detergents and fabric softeners.
- The home office. Finally, if you’ve worked from home during the holiday season, chances are your office may be in disarray. Drawer organizers or a brand new bookshelf can help you keep all your important mail, documents and books in their place.
Brought to you by Jean Hedren, a member of the Residential Real Estate Council.