Somewhere out there is the home of your dreams. You just have to find it.
One of the most exciting aspects of buying a home is looking at different properties in your price range. Seeing houses up close in various sizes, condition, and style is the best real estate education.
How many should you see? The number of homes to see will depend on your specific area or location, the local market, and your specific requirements. The key is to focus your time and efforts on suitable properties. Your Realtor will help by eliminating homes that don’t meet your criteria, and locating those that do.
Because of traveling time and distance, an optimum number of homes to see is 4-6. Those looking for a second home in NW Wisconsin may be traveling 2 – 3 hours to get to the area of interest. Your Realtor will help you plan the most efficient tour to suit your needs and time constraints. It’s a good idea to use google maps to become familiar with the size of NW Wisconsin.
What to expect. Your Realtor is happy to show you any homes on the market. Be realistic with your expectations. There’s no such thing as a perfect home. Make a list of priorities as a guide to evaluate each property.
- Let your Realtor know which homes are of most interest in advance. The seller typically needs 24 hours notice, although some are flexible. Your Realtor also needs time to route the tour and prepare the property information packet.
- Plan to spend 15-30 minutes at each property. A typical showing time is 30 minutes.
- Wear shoes that slip off easily.
- Try not to bring small children or other family members or friends. You’ll be better able to focus on the task without distractions.
- Pay attention to the home’s curb appeal, floor plan, and overall amenities.
- Take notes, ask questions, and make comments that will help your Realtor understand what you like and don’t like.
- Be considerate of the owners. Sometimes owners can be present at the showing.
- Relax and enjoy the tour.